When it comes to matters of the bar, our list is crafted with a passion for discovery. Join us and delve into the fabled vineyards of France, the powerhouse potency of California, the indigenous varietals of Italy, as well as the world’s best kept secrets, reaching into the depths of Europe, the New World and the Middle East. All thanks to our beverage director → Jay Akin. As our Chef-Owner John Doherty best explains:
“The restaurant business consists of a million moving parts and at the top of the list is Hospitality. We understand that while service gets people what they need and want, it’s Hospitality that makes people ‘feel’ something incredible about their experience.
Jay delivers the ultimate Hospitality experience to our customers. He so genuinely wants people to feel cared for and to have a good time. His passion for wine and spirits is contagious with the staff and makes all of our jobs more fun. Whether sabering Champagne, servicing the Chefs Table or decanting a fine wine, Jay will be engaged with our guests and always enhances their experience. Basically….we love Jay!”
“I have always looked at my beverage philosophy from an eclectic standpoint. I try my best to find things that encourage my guests to step outside of their comfort zone and try something new. From cocktails to wine, I try to stay away from the norm.”
— Jay Akin
Here is a list of 18 fun facts about Jay Akin:
1. I’m a Texan. Born and raised in Houston, TX. Both of my grand parents had cattle farms when I was growing up.
2. I’m a Shakespearean Clown. I have worked for 15 years as a classical comedian and actor.
3. I do fight choreography for stage and film. I trained with the Society of American Fight Directors under the supervision of a Fight Master.
4. I run a film company called The Artists Movement. I started the company in October of 2014 and we are slowly growing!
5. The only food I don’t like is Sea Urchin. It’s supposed to be a delicacy but I really cant get past the texture.
6. I was a college professor. I taught Movement at the University of Missouri – Kansas City for a couple years.
7. The most influential class I ever took in school was in the 6th grade. It was an experimental course simply called “Problem Solving”. We were allowed to invent things to theoretically achieve our goal. It really helps me to this day when working out the “how to” of any given situation.
8. My family is awesome. We are small but mighty. My dad started his own business 35 years ago, my mom went back to school and finished her masters at age 67 (after I got mine), and my sister runs a fashion design company in Fort Collin, CO called “Akinz”.
9. My favorite event is the symphony. Something about it really transports me somewhere.
10. I play tennis and golf.
11. I play video games. My dad and I get online together and play each other from across the country and every other Wednesday I have “FIFA night” with the boys.
12. I’m a huge sports fan. My teams are all Houston. Astros, Rockets, Texans, Dynamo. I love ’em all y’all!
13. I’m wickedly accurate in throwing a coaster. I can pick you off from across the room.
14. I saber champagne in the restaurant. John got us a French Calvary saber. It’s gorgeous. See the video of the action here!
15. I can blow fire.
16. I love the smell of a good Brunello. I want to bottle the scent and make my bathroom smell that way. 🙂
17. My favorite music genre is bluegrass. I’m a huge fan of The Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, and String Cheese incident.
18. I became a sommelier to win a bet.