Like a fine bottle of wine, our family at Black Barn Restaurant gets better with age. Being one of the oldest and finest agricultural products in the world, wine grows from the love of the land and represents the zest for life. Our Wine Director, Andrija Tadejevic, has crafted a list with a passion for discovery with some the world’s best-kept secrets.
Besides being a meticulous dresser, Andrija is equally as passionate about food, wine and cooking. When a guest orders a special bottle of wine, Andrija gets so excited, you would think he found his soulmate! I love watching passionate people do what turns them on. Just the other night, I caught him staring into space and I said “where are you?” he snapped to attention and said “oh, was at home cooking a dry aged steak and it was so awesome” and we both had a good laugh.
From our beginning, I’ve expressed to our wine team, that if the wine doesn’t change the conversation, it doesn’t go on the menu.
That means we have to look hard to find extraordinary wines at every price point. Andrija embraces that challenge and in turn, loves telling the back story of each wine and what makes it special. I hope you take advantage of his passion!
Here is a list of 18 fun facts about Andrija Tadejevic:
1. I was born and raised in Split, Croatia. The 1700-year-old city founded by a Roman Emperor, Diocletian.
2. I’m a proud dad to a 6-year-old girl called Nora, she is the answer to every question I ever had in my life and everything I do, I do for her!!
3. My role model is my father, one day I hope I can look back at my life and say I was just a fraction of a man he is! He knows all, talks when it’s necessary, is incredibly charming and taught me how to be a proud and honorable man!
4. I left home when I was 18 and since then I have fully supported myself along with my education.
5. Love for wine came when I was a 10-year-old boy, helping grandpa during the harvest in our vineyard. A glass of 1982 La Mission Haut Brion took that love to next level. I literally stole that glass of wine on a big Bordeaux tasting where I was cleaning up the event space.
6. I have travelled to 88 countries, Africa and particularly Madagascar is next on my list.
7. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, but I tend to question everything. It is one of the reasons why I’m not a big fan of religion.
8. I started a Facebook group about Sir David Attenborough, 7 years ago, and right now it’s the biggest group on internet related to Sir David with 6,000 members! 😀
9. There are cars and then, there is Ferrari… The ultimate expression of design, passion, romance, history and beauty!
10. During my childhood, I was making money by spearfishing and selling the fish to rich yacht owners in secluded bays and islands. It was illegal, but I had to make money somehow to buy that first Ferrari lol.
11. I moved to New York 2 years ago to finally pass the Master Sommelier exam and become the first Croatian with the Master Somm Title, still working on it….
12. I love Opera, my favorite is Pagliacci by Ruggero Leoncavallo and Nabucco by Giuseppe Verdi.
13. Favourite food is my mother’s gnocchi with homemade bolognese sauce paired with a bottle of old Barbaresco!!
14. Some People that I have a huge admiration for are, George Carlin, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Charles Darwin, Leonardo da Vinci, Isaac Newton, Johan Cruyff, Eric Estornel, Muhammad Ali, Nikola Tesla.
15. The love of my life is from Greece and I met her here in New York. She’s a true soul mate, my best friend, greatest support and the only reason why I rush home after work!
16. My greatest passion is music. It started with a cassette of The Doors album “L.A Woman”. Since then I went through pretty much everything, including jazz, blues, classical music, punk, rock, metal, etc. Along the way, I realized that true underground techno is what I associate with the most. It’s not easy to understand it, doesn’t have a huge following, it’s a futuristic statement and “Where words fail, techno speaks”!
17. Favourite Tv Show – Miami Vice, Seinfeld, Only Fools and Horses, Band of Brothers.
Join us at Black Barn and delve into the fabled vineyards of France, the powerhouse potency of California, the indigenous varietals of Italy, as well as the world’s best-kept secrets — reaching into the depths of Europe, the New World, and the Middle East. Enjoy your romp through the vineyard!
Ask for Andrija and be amazed at your wines story.