Our hosts are here to give you a warm welcome and make you feel at home. Greeting our guests with a warm welcome is just a small part of the hospitality that we like to deliver at Black Barn. We’re so proud to introduce you to our lovely lead hostess, Sophia Dudgeon, who is a vital piece of the restaurant’s hospitality structure.
“Sophia’s positive outlook makes everybodies day a little brighter. She offers us technical support with our various reservations and menu programs. A hard worker while keeping a smile on even during stressful moments.”
— Chef John Doherty
What does hospitality mean to you?
“To me, it’s about taking care of people, there is an appreciated art to being cared for. My dad was a chef in San Diego and my mom was a waitress as well as a hotel manager in the Hamptons, and both my parents told me ‘If you want to get a part time job in college, work at a restaurant because you’ll have so much more fun!’ They are completely right.”
What’s your favorite dish at Black Barn?
“I’m a veggie lover and my go-to dish is the Kale and Roasted Butternut Squash salad.”
Here is a list of 18 fun facts about Sophia Dudgeon
1. I’m originally from upstate New York, in a small town in Orange County called Warwick.
2. I dropped out of high school in the United States to finish my education in the South of France for a year. I also speak French.
3. I came to Manhattan to attend university. I’m currently a student at FIT, studying Advertising and Marketing Communications. I’ll be graduating in the Fall of 2019.
4. My family means everything to me. My parents are my role models and biggest supporters. I also have an amazing brother, he studies Environmental Science, and he’s also a photographer.
5. I’m a horseback rider, grew up riding and competing my whole life!
6. Veterinary care was my original choice of career but after living in France, I fell in love with the city life.
7. I edit and design all the menus here at Black Barn and the ones at BlackBarn Shop Cafe in Chelsea Market.
8. I love live music no matter what the category is!
9. My style inspiration is Victoria Beckham and if I could be styled like anyone in this world it would be her.
10. I’m very ambitious in life and I’m always looking to move up and do better!
11. My next travel destination would consist of driving across the country. I feel like I can’t continue to travel outside the country without seeing more of my own.
12. One of my goals, when it comes to housing, is to live in TriBeCa on my own. That’s when I know I’ve made it.
13. I’m a country girl at heart; love pick-up trucks, horses and the outdoors.
14. My parents are my most favorite people in the world. I already mentioned how supportive they are but they deserve more credit than that. They taught me everything I know. I owe everything to them.
15. I am a cellist and a pianist, music is extremely important to me!
16. I would rather be at the beach than anywhere else.
17. I’m a bit of a health nut, and I’m always searching for new superfoods to fuel me through my hectic schedule.
18. My favorite quote is by Coco Chanel, “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.“