Devin Brodie has been with the BLACKBARN events team from the very beginning and that’s because she’s such a great team player. Whether it’s on the course, in the house, or at work, she’s always a reliable member of the team. Below you will learn a few more things about our Director of Events, Devin, that will make you want her on your team for your next event.
“Devin has such passion for creating a memorable guest experience. The wheels are always turning, as she’s always thinking of ways to bring uniqueness to each event. She is a master at planning the details for BLACKBARN’s events, whether it be at the restaurant or our Chelsea Market location.”
— Owner and Chef John Doherty
Here is a list of 6 fun facts about Devin Brodie:
1. “Fooooore!” Luckily, I haven’t had to shout that in a while! I started playing golf at age 10, joined the Country Club’s Junior Team when I was 12, and by age 15 was a 13 handicap. I went on to play competitively on Kent School’s team, where I was the only girl. While the beginning of my career was filled with triple bogies and sand traps, practice makes…good enough!
2. I studied Mandarin for six years and also spent one summer studying in China. Even though it’s been many years since I have practiced, Meng Lao Shi would tell you that I could quickly jump back into a conversation- she’s always been so encouraging! Character-based languages are so intricate; not only is Mandarin grammar unlike English, but the language is written in characters and the characters are unrelated to the pronunciation of the words! Don’t even get me started on one of the simplest words whose meaning changes with your tone of voice from either horse 马 to mother 妈!
3. In high school, I took a 35mm photography class where I learned to develop my own film and prints in the dark room. Not only did Mr. Scofield teach me to develop my film but he helped me develop my artistic style which led me to an undergraduate degree in Film & Media Studies.
One of the pieces I’ve created, the one that means the most to me is my senior thesis. It is a short documentary-style film about the variety of experiences students can have at boarding school. Not only did I spend my semester traveling around one of the country’s most beautiful regions, I was my own crew: I interviewed, directed, produced, edited, and created a final product of which I’m very proud. It was a true pleasure to be able to highlight the journeys of many students, and alumni, and hopefully to have captured a rang of experiences for my viewers!
4. I love hands-on projects. I’m a huge proponent of efficiency and I love when all of the steps are complete and the finished product looks good! I studied a lot of kinetic arts in school, but recently I’ve taken on some home improvement projects. I just painted my French doors and made custom baskets for my pantry too–I’m thinking a couple of window boxes are up next!
5. The most educational and rewarding leadership position I have held was serving as the President of my collegiate fraternity, Delta Delta Delta. Tri Delta doesn’t let its members campaign for positions, so I was beyond grateful to be elected by my peers to lead the chapter through some challenging years! Don’t tell Lafayette, but what I learned from my term as Collegiate Chapter President rivals that of what I learned in any single undergraduate course!
6. To date, most of the jobs I’ve had have been in hospitality. Through various internships, I learned a lot about “what I wanted to do when I grew up”. Some were better than others but they were all informative and edifying! For eg. one summer I was hired as a research assistant for a fine art title insurance company in NYC and I realized the researcher role was a little dry for me! I wanted to interact with people more regularly, and for that, hospitality is a great fit.
“With us from the beginning, ‘The Nomad’ is my favorite cocktail at BLACKBARN. A play on a White Manhattan, The Nomad appeals to all whiskey drinkers and features our house-aged whiskey. Although the simple presentation may fool you, it is a must-have!”
At BLACKBARN we believe that a strong team produces the strongest results. Devin is a critical part of our team and instrumental in helping plan a great event. Whether you’re looking to hold a private dinner for 12 or a cocktail celebration for 300, we will make your event a hole in one. See our full list of event spaces here.