When there is a will, there is a way and Alicia Velletri, Director of Events at BLACKBARN, is driven with passion both in athletics and in the game of event planning. Time and time again, Alicia and her team exceed expectations doing what they love – making peoples’ dreams come true. Planning and executing a perfect event is more of a marathon than a sprint and below you will learn more about what drives Alicia to go the distance for every special event.
“Because Alicia was such a star in my years at the Waldorf=Astoria, I jumped on the opportunity to bring her to BLACKBARN where she goes out of her way to customize events while establishing great working relationships with our clients!”
— Owner and Chef John Doherty
“My favorite dish at BLACKBARN is the chicken Milanese sandwich, every bite of it is filled with deliciousness. I also love our extravagant wine list here and my all time favorite is the Valduero. I love recommending them both!”
Here is a list of 7 fun facts about Alicia Velletri:
1. I started my career in Hospitality back in 2004 at the Waldorf=Astoria which I considered my “School of Hospitality.” The Waldorf is where I learned almost everything I needed to know about the industry and I will forever be thankful for the friendships and connections I made and all that I learned during my time there. It also happens to be where I met John Doherty & his wife, Jennifer Doherty who I have worked with for most of my career!
2. I started running in 2013 where I ran my first 10k. I decided I LOVED something I never even thought I would enjoy, and before I knew it – I was enrolled in the 2014 NYC Marathon. I am thrilled to be able to call myself a marathoner plus 11 other half marathons since then. I stopped running about a year ago due to a knee injury but my love for fitness has only expanded since then and I belong to a group fitness gym called “Bad Ass Academy” in Brooklyn, NY.
3. I have a great love for animals and have 3 fur-babies who I adore. I am the owner of 3 Persian cats named Zoe, Zorro, & Penelope who are 11, 13, & 6 months old. I am an animal lover in general, and if my personal/work schedule allowed for it – I would have a dog as well!
4. Beach season, my favorite time of year! I live on the beach all summer long and I enjoy every second of it. Everyone knows that if I can help it, I refuse to make daytime weekend plans unless it is located on the beach!
5. “The 3 F’s” – Family, Friends, & Fashion! – all things I LOVE and put before most anything else.
6. My all-time favorite thing to do is to watch the sunset and photograph it. I especially enjoy it in the summer with a glass of vino in my hand.
7. A little over a year ago, I met my other half, Joseph Cirillo. We were introduced by a very close friend in April 2017 when we went on our first double date. I never understood the phrase “when you know, you know”, until I met Joseph. We are now engaged to be married on March 29th, 2019 and we live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. I am so happy and I feel that I found the best life partner for myself!
With eight event spaces accommodating from 12 – 300 guests, across 2 locations, plus off-premise catering, let Alicia and the BLACKBARN Events Team assist in planning an extraordinary dining experience for you and your guests. At BLACKBARN, we believe that “comfort is the new luxury”.